9/3/09

{OUT OF AFRICA}

Charlotte Claire was thrilled to see planes take off as we drove past Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport. "I want airplane"... "I want airplane"! She kept this up for the next 30 minutes. I was starting to think we should just turn around and take a few plane rides for the day! The idea was quickly vetoed and we kept our original plan and celebrated Charlotte's 2nd Birthday at Out of Africa Wildlife Park. The park is 1 1/2 hours from Phoenix and 1/2 hour from Sedona, open year round Wednesday-Sunday. I don't recommend going in the summer unless your wondering what it might be like to have a heat stoke or at the very least heat exhaustion. Thank goodness monsoon clouds rolled in later in the day and saved us from our misery. Besides some sweat and flushed cheeks Charlotte enjoyed seeing all of the animals!

Tiger Splash






Giant Snake Show
Charlotte... not as afraid of the big snake as her mom!

Safari Tour


Do you know what color the stripes are on a Zebra... Black or White?

This Rhino was a gift from designer Marc Ecko, the Rhino is his trademark. He bought it for twice what it was worth just so it wouldn't be used for a big game hunt.

Camel Ride
I envisioned that my first Camel ride would be in Egypt or in Jordan in route to Petra. I would have never guessed it would be right here in my home state. The man who owns the camel is from Kenya. His family owns 60 camels back home and they take people on Safari via Camel. Talking to him about Africa made the experience a little more exciting.

Predator Feed
At the end of the day we watched the trainers feed the animals. Besides my first camel ride this was my favorite part of the day.

Check out Dutchbaby for pictures from a recent trip on a real African Safari.

3 comments:

The Flying Pinto said...

Wow...looks like a great place! I'll have to keep it in mind. Thanks!

Dutchbaby said...

Your post is so cleverly titled! What a fantastic second birthday. Happy happy birthday, Charlotte Claire!

Thanks for the shout-out; I hope to post more photos and stories next week.